24 April ∣ 2023
The term e-fulfillment comes from English from "e-commerce" and "fulfillment" and is related to the entire process from processing an online order to sending it to a recipient (with packaging, transport, delivery). The steps along the entire chain to the end customer are critical for e-commerce as it directly affects customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Transport can be organized in-house by the online retailer or outsourced to a third-party logistics provider (3PL).
Here are some of the most popular services in e-fulfillment:
- Warehousing and storage: Suppliers must offer secure warehousing and storage facilities to keep the goods well-preserved until they are ready to be shipped to customers.
- Order Processing: Employees process incoming online orders, select products, pack them and prepare them for shipment. Some businesses also offer video recording of packaged shipments.
- Inventory management (warehouse stock): Part of the services is to help businesses track the movement of goods online so they always know when to restock and what stock they have available for sale.
- Shipping: Transportation (internal or external company) is needed to move the goods to the customer on time. In a time of great competition, speed is critical to customer satisfaction. It should also be possible to return the products if consumers do not like them.
- Order Tracking: E-fulfillment usually includes tracking (real-time tracking of orders) so that customers can easily track their packages and be aware of the delivery status.
- Customer Service: May be included in the service - online and offline answering customer inquiries regarding orders, deliveries and product returns.
- Analytics and reporting: Analytics and reporting tools help businesses monitor and optimize their e-fulfillment processes.
- Special services: Sometimes customized solutions tailored to the specific needs of a business are required, such as unique packaging requirements or special delivery conditions.
In general, the services in the e-fulfillment process are designed to help businesses efficiently, automatically and accurately fulfill orders and provide the best possible customer experience.